Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Genealogy v Genetics

Genealogy still towers over genetics in establishing family relationships.  23andMe located just under a thousand second and more distant cousins and relatives.  But, a genealogy website used in Finland has located approximately 350,000 of my closest relatives on my mother's side!  The Finns love their family histories, apparently.

Seriously, more than 6% of the population of Finland has a publicly documented family relationship to me.

I've met about half a dozen of my Finnish relatives and one stayed with my family for a summer after I had left for college.  The most illustrious of them was awarded a knighthood for his service to Finland by revolutionizing their waste treatment system, banishing diseases that would have otherwise afflicted Finland's people.

1 comment:

andrew said...

I'm including a link to a recent post from Razib touching on Finland here for future reference:

https://gnxp.nofe.me/2017/07/25/ancient-europeans-isolated-always-on-the-edge-of-extinction/